At Newberries we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. We believe that children deserve a broad and ambitious Science curriculum, rich in skills and knowledge, which develops curiosity, encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment and prepares them well for future learning.
At Newberries Primary School, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- Become curious learnings and have enquiring minds to instil a love of learning;
- Develop practical skills by working scientifically;
- Articulate scientific concepts clearly and precisely;
- Address misconceptions;
- Understanding the nature, processes and methods of Science;
- Understanding the uses and implications of Science today and for the future;
- To accurately read and interpret technical terminology;
- To see connections between subject areas and become aware of the big ideas underpinning scientific knowledge and understanding;
- To challenge received wisdom by taking into account new evidence and ideas;
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
- To use problem solving skills and numeracy within scientific concepts
- To give children the opportunity to use their scientific skills and knowledge in real life contexts
We endeavour to ensure that the Science curriculum we provide will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
- Science Overview (249KB)