There are many ways in which you can support your child.
Working With The School: All staff at Newberries Primary School want to work in partnership with parents to ensure that your child is happy and successful within their learning. See below for further links to use to support your child’s Mental Wellbeing.
At school, we are also using Zones of Regulation: Zones of regulations is a visual way of sorting our emotions into 4 colours. By sorting our emotions like this we are able to: learn to identify our emotions, understand the reaction our emotions has on our body and understand that all people have their own “toolbox” that they can use to react to their emotions positively. After all, as Charles Swindon once said, “Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.”
We believe that:
Our aim is that our school and classrooms are always a Green Zone. This means that we have children who are calm, feeling happy, are ready to learn and focussed. To help us, each classroom now has its own characters representing each colour and have chosen their own tools to put into their classroom box to use when they are feeling a certain way.
- Ask your children about each colour and ask what they mean to our feelings and our bodies
- Decide on an action, facial expression or hand sign to express each zone. (E.G. Red zone = folded/crossed arms and frown)
- If you have access to it, why not watch “Inside Out” so that you can talk about the different emotions with your family
- Talk about an activity that you could do at home when you, or someone that you know, could do when they feel like they are in each zone.
– Green Zone – give someone a compliment or do a job at home!
– Yellow Zone – do some yoga or play a puzzle!
– Blue Zone – colour your worries away and draw!
– Red Zone – squeeze your whole body as tight as you can, take a deep breath and count to 10!
Understanding How School Teaches Specific Skills: Newberries Primary School produce a range of leaflets to support parents in areas of the curriculum that can be unfamiliar. These can be downloaded from this page.
- Anti-Bullying Information (245KB)
- Homework Leaflet - KS1 (26KB)
- Homework Leaflet - KS2 (27KB)
- Handwriting - Letter Formation (200KB)
- Reading with your Child (31KB)
In addition to this, you can support your child academically by using the following websites and tools.